Following an eventful summer on campus, faculty and staff at UW–Platteville were welcomed back during convocation on Thursday.
Angela Udelhofen, assistant chancellor for Admission and Enrollment Services, greeted the returning faculty and staff, which was followed by a presentation about the EF2 tornado that damaged portions of campus on June 16.
It was noted that more than 13,000 employee hours have been spent helping the campus rebuild since June 16.
The Pioneer Relief Fund was established to assist students, faculty and staff affected by the storm with needs such as food and/or water, temporary housing, clothing and other supplies. To date, more than $81,000 has been raised, including a $50,000 donation from the Chicago Bears.
Since the weeks that followed the tornado, the affected buildings were made available for returning students and staff. The turf and lights at Ralph E. Davis Pioneer Stadium are being replaced.
Looking forward, the short-term future of the university looks strong, according to Chancellor Dennis J. Shields. “We are controlling our own destiny,” he said, noting UW–Platteville has had a record-setting number of graduates during the last two years.
The new employees were recognized during the event as well.
In addition, campus award winners were recognized:
• Nancy Weigel: Limited Term Employee Award for Excellence. For additional information about Weigel’s award, see www.uwplatt.edu/news/weigel-receives-limited-term-employment-award.
• Mary Ann Henry: Classified Staff Award for Excellence. For additional information on Henry’s award, see www.uwplatt.edu/news/henry-honored-classified-staff-award-excellence.
• Vickie Dreessens: Academic Staff Award for Excellence. For additional information about Dreessens’ award, see www.uwplatt.edu/news/dreessens-honored-academic-staff-award-excellence.
• Dr. Travis Nelson: Outstanding Academic Advisor Award. For additional information about Nelson’s award, see http://www.uwplatt.edu/news/nelson-named-outstanding-academic-advisor.
• Dr. David Krugler: Faculty Award for Teaching Excellence. For additional information about Krugler’s award, see www.uwplatt.edu/news/krugler-receives-faculty-award-teaching-excellence.
• Dr. Dong Isbister: Wisconsin Teaching Fellow. For additional information about Isbister’s award, see www.uwplatt.edu/news/isbister-selected-wisconsin-teaching-fellow.
• Dr. Keith Thompson: Wisconsin Teaching Scholar. For additional information about Thompson’s award, see www.uwplatt.edu/news/thompson-honored-uw-system-award.
• Lakisha Clinton: Woman of Color Award. For additional information about Clinton’s award, see www.uwplatt.edu/news/clinton-honored-outstanding-woman-color-award.
• Deirdre Dalsing: Carol Sue Butts Woman of the Year. For additional information about Dalsing’s award, see www.uwplatt.edu/news/dalsing-honored-woman-year-award.
• Dr. Tim Deis: UW System Alliant Energy Underkofler Excellence in Teaching Award. For additional information about Deis’ award, see www.uwplatt.edu/news/deis-earns-uw-system-teaching-award.
• Dr. Matt Roberts: Regent Award for Teaching Excellence. For additional information about Roberts’ award, see www.wisconsin.edu/news/2014/r140529.htm.